April 20th Update

Dear Athena Families,

We hope you are all faring well during this challenging reality in which we collectively find ourselves. And although it is no substitute for the in-person care we normally provide on campus, we hope you are finding value in the At-Home Learning resources we are providing for you and your children. If you haven’t visited in a while, please check out the At-Home Learning section of our website, where you can find links to online resources, podcasts, our private Facebook page, our YouTube channel, and links to the weekly activity packets we have provided for both Tots and Primary aged-students.

As promised, we have offered a 25% refund for the final tuition payments that were paid in full, should you choose to accept it. Please input your choice on this Google Form to let us know if you want to be refunded via Venmo, receive a check in the mail, apply it towards your 2020-2021 tuition (for re-enrolled students), or if you want to decline the discount and donate it back to the school. We are so grateful to those of you who have been able to offer for us to keep your discount as a donation, and we also fully understand for those of you who choose not to.

By way of an update for the business of Athena: I have applied for, and been preliminarily approved for, a PPP loan. I am awaiting final approval and, hopefully soon, transfer of funds into our account. The PPP loan should cover our staff payroll for the remainder of their contract terms. I am also still looking into other disaster funds to help cover operating costs until we are able to reopen campus. And, in an effort to protect our campus, especially during this time while it is vacant, we have decided to go ahead with the construction of an eight foot tall perimeter privacy fence, at least on the Ben White Blvd. side of campus, to prevent further vandalism and unwanted visitors on our property.

My hope is that we will still be able to conduct summer camp as usual, but we will have to wait for more information from health officials and local leaders to see if that will be possible. If we are unable to conduct summer camp, in full or part, we will give you as much notice as possible, and of course will refund registration fees.

It is also my hope that we will be able to begin the 2020-2021 school year on schedule, per the calendar on our website. We will certainly keep you posted as the situation unfolds and we make decisions that affect our school community. Regardless of the timing of our reopening, we will at some point, in some way, gather as a community to honor and celebrate this year’s students and graduates.

In the meantime, stay well and healthy, and please reach out to us if you have any questions or need support with any of our At-Home Learning resources. I hope to see you Wednesday evenings at 8:00 p.m. for our Fireside Chats.

And lastly, but most importantly, I wish to express my gratitude to those of you or your family members who are on the front lines working to protect or serve our community members; and to express my sincere condolences to those of you and your family members affected by the Coronavirus. My love and thoughts are with you all during this challenging time.