Cards and Counters
Description: This activity helps the child to identify numeral and quantity by matching them together.
Goal: To present quantities and symbols and to distinguish between odd and even.
- Numerals 1-10
- 55 objects (beans, pebbles, marbles, cereal, sunflower seeds, raisins –whatever you have 55 of)
- Name the cards and counters.
- Randomly place numerals out.
- Ask for your child’s help to place the numerals in sequence at the top of the mat and to identify the numerals.
- “How many are needed here?” Count counters as you place them in your hand and then below the numeral.
- Continue with the same approach until complete. Comment on the pattern of the odd and even quantities.
- Ask your child to lay out the cards and counters. When finished, point out that some end in pairs and some do not have partners.
- “We call the ones that don’t have a partner odd numbers. Can you point to the odd numbers? We call the ones that end in a pair even numbers. Can you point to the even numbers?”
- Ask your child to separate the odd numbers from the even numbers. Return to the shelf or make a booklet.
- Have your child make their own set of cards and counters
- Work with larger quantities & identify odd and even numbers