Set your child up with a fun collage activity on their “work shelf”
Encourage creativity and building fine motor skills
- Colored construction paper
- Paint brush
- Small bowl to hold glue(or a glue stick)
- Prepare ahead by cutting out some simple construction paper shapes to be used for animal parts (beaks, whiskers, horns, trunks) and putting them in a tray or in some bowls.
- Create an example of an animal (real or imaginary) and share it with your child. If it’s imaginary, create a name for your animal. If it’s real, ask your child if they can identify it.
- Set up necessary paper shapes, glue sticks or glue in a small bowl with paintbrush on a small tray or on their work station.
- Model how to use the glue to create their own collaged animal.
- Invite your child to take a turn creating their own and if it’s imaginary, give it a silly name.
- Encourage your child to make one for every member of your family.
- Draw the shapes on paper and invite your child to practice cutting out the animal features.
- After completion, invite your child to identify all the parts.