By: Ms. Alex and Ms. Stephanie, Primary 3
It’s no “surprise” that children love color mixing! With just a few common materials, you can create this STEAM activity that explores colors, strengthens fine motor skills and is a lot of FUN!
Take a look at this video by Ms. Alex creating her own color surprise!
- Paper towel
- Washable markers
- Permanent marker
- Baking Sheet
- Spray Bottle filled with water (or dropper)
- Lay a paper towel flat on top of a baking sheet.
- Draw shapes in a variety of colors on a paper towel with washable markers.
You can let your child draw the shapes. Ms. Alex chose hearts to draw on her paper towel.
- Color over the shapes completely with a permanent marker, so you can’t see the color hiding behind it.
- Now let your child spray water on the shapes. They will be amazed as they see the colors come out from hiding!
Please share your colorful experiences on our Athena Montessori Parent Forum!
The permanent marker may seep through the paper towel. Be mindful in using a baking sheet that can get dirty or add newspaper/parchment paper under the paper towel to protect the baking sheet.
Accidentally got some permanent marker on the table!? Try using a pencil eraser to remove the mark!
You can draw a variety of shapes, numerals or letters on the paper towel. This will help strengthen your child’s letter, numeral and shape recognition.
Have fun experimenting with different mediums…watch this video: Ms. Alex mixing colors using a similar technique, on a coffee filter!
Dance along to a color song with Ms. Stephanie.
Explore coloring mixing with paint, water or even playdough!