Create Your Own Pizza By: Ms. Alex and Ms. Margaret
It’s no secret that children love to play restaurant, but real cooking doesn’t have to be reserved for grown-ups only. Your child will love the ownership in helping prepare and build their own pizza! All you need is this simple recipe and an eager little helper.
Check out adorable 2 year old, Roman, making his very own pizza!
- Ladle or spoon
- Spreader or butter knife
Ingredient for the whole family:
- Pizza crust
- Cheese and/or your child’s favorite toppings
Ms. Alex loves mushrooms and pepperoni on her pizza while Ms. Margaret likes whatever veggies she has on hand! What will you put on your pizza?
Build your pizza:
- Invite your child to help gather ingredients and kitchen materials.
- Preheat the oven to 450º F.
- Let your child observe as you build your pizza. Show them how you ladle the sauce on to your crust, spread and place your toppings.
- Now it’s their turn!
- Bake for 8 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust has started to brown. Enjoy!
No crust? No problem!
Anything can be a pizza crust… tortillas, pita, bagels, you name it!
Here’s a video of Ms. Margaret making a tortilla pizza with grilled broccoli and a homegrown patty pan squash.
Although this recipe is simple, there are many ways it can grow with your little chef.
Next time you make pizza together, invite them to help chop their veggie toppings with a butter knife or grate the cheese.
As your children master their chopping and spreading skills, allow them to prepare and build their pizza, independently!