Food Prep Sandpiper Classes’ Favorite Pizza english muffins!
Try this snack time favorite at home and let your child show you their pizza making skills while exercising their fine motor skills!
- Pizza Sauce/Tomato Sauce
- Shredded cheese
- English muffins
- Baking tray
- 2-3 Small bowls
- Together, wash hands with soap and water.
- Prepare all the materials ahead of time
- Cut the english muffins in half and place on baking tray
- Put the sauce and cheese in a couple small bowls
- Preheat oven to 350 or low
- Model how to place sauce on the english muffin using the spoon to spread some sauce on the top of an english muffin. At school, when we introduce a new lesson, we say, “I’ll show you how first, then it will be your turn.”
- Invite your child to have a turn spreading sauce onto the remainder of the english muffins.
- Model how to sprinkle your shredded cheese on top of the sauce and let your child follow up with filling the rest with cheese.
- Place english muffin on a baking tray in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Let english muffin pizza cool down before serving.
While your child is waiting for their food to finish cooking, put them in charge of setting their place at the table! Place dishes, cups and napkins in the kitchen at their level, so they can carry the items to the table. You may need to remind them to bring items over one at a time.
For an added step, invite your child to use tongs when placing the cheese on top of the pizzas to add another pincer grip challenge.
Use this as an opportunity to introduce new foods and add toppings like pepperoni, peppers, olives or pineapple and “create a Toddler Test Kitchen”.
Sync this activity up with a friend via zoom and let your Tot have a Pizza party with a friend over the computer.