Toddlers love using tools! This hammering activity is great for developing their fine motor skills, concentration and hand-eye coordination.
- Container filled with clay
- Small bowl to hold nails
- Clay/Play Dough
- Child sized Mallet or Hammer
- Nails/golf tees/sticks
- To prepare your tray fill a container with clay – use your fingers to fill the space. Beside it place the hammer and a small bowl with nails/golf tees/sticks
- You can model how to safely hold the hammer and then demonstrate how to hammer the nail into the clay.
- Encourage your child to pull out all the nails and place them back in the bowl before returning the tray to the shelf.
If you don’t have clay – you can use a large block of styrofoam. You can also move this activity outside and your toddler can hammer tees into the soft or wet dirt!