Physics Intro to Inclined Planes
Explore the wonderful scientific world of Simple Machines! Our first stop is exploring Inclined planes. This activity will introduce the difference between flat and inclined surfaces and their effects on objects
- Family members
- A large flat object such as a tray or flat piece of wood,
- Train or toy cars
- Different sized step stools or boxes
- Watch this video of Ms. Carole of Tots 3 introducing this Physics Lesson!
- Try it out at home by laying a large tray or plank of wood flat on the floor. Now place your train or car on it.
- Ask your child to describe what happens? Does it move? Does it stay stationary? Why do you think that happens?
- Now lean one side of your tray or plank of wood on a box or step stool. (Think slide) Now place your train or car on it. Ask your child to describe what happens? Does it move? Does it stay stationary? Why do you think that happens?
Experiment leaning the ramp at different against different objects to create different inclines. Try to see who’s vehicle can go the farthest across the floor!