Roll and Count Dice Game
Simple and fun game to practice counting. This game can be played by one person or many!
- To practice counting
- To develop concentration
- To practice turn taking (if playing with a partner)
- To develop coordination of the hand (if using a transfer tool such as tongs)
- Die (use multiple dice for a faster game and higher numbers to count. Try a numbered die to also practice number recognition)
- A small cup for each player
- Blocks/Gems/Beads/Rocks/Puff Balls (anything you have a lot of) in a container
- Optional: tongs, spoon or chopsticks to add a transfer challenge
- Roll the dice. Look at your number. Put that number of gems in your cup. Roll and fill until your cup is full!
- If playing with someone, pass the dice to the next player. First person to fill their cup wins!
- Watch this simple video of these two children playing the game to get a visual.
- Add a timer when playing alone for an extra challenge. How fast can you fill your cup?!
- Practice making predictions by guessing how many items will be needed to fill your cup before you start. Try different shapes and sizes of containers!
- Use a dropper bottle and smaller cup to try this activity with water.